Augustan News Page
The purpose of this page is to share news of the Society and its members. Submissions may be sent to the Webmaster for inclusion. Older items will be deleted to make room for new.
- The House of Ghassan and the sub-national kingdom of New Sawereso-Seinuah were recognized as fontes honorum.
- The Equestrian Order of Michael Archangel was recognized as a Non-Ruling Order of Chivalry.
- Baroness Jessica Hartwell, OAE, LMR, was named Augustæum Reporter.
- Rod Fleck, FAS, was named Assistant Production Editor.
- The sub-national kingdoms of Ankore in Uganda, Kupang in Indonesia, and Mangkualaman in Indonesia, were recognized as fontes honorum.
- The museum collection was moved to a smaller, lower cost unit, saving about 2/3 of the annual storage expenses.
- The Board will test online elections, in hopes of moving to same for Society elections.
- The Chief of New Sawereso-Seinuah (a sub-national Ghanian kingdom) was recognized as a fons honorum.
- The Royal Order of the Crown of Mangkualaman, the Most Exalted Supreme Royal Family Order of Mangkualaman, the Most Distinguished Royal Family Order of Mangkualaman, the Most Distinguished Family Order of Mangkualaman, the Most Blessed Grand Otheirrder of Sri Paduka Mangku Alam II, and Most Illustrious Order of the Crown of Mangkualaman be recognized as Non-Ruling Orders.
- Baroness Jessica Hartwell, OAE, KCR, and Nathan Bendel were named Associate Omnibus Editors.
- Steven Dieter was named Vice-Justiciar General.
- Luke Ironside was named Vice-Justiciar for English Heraldry.
- William Fleck, FAS; Nathaniel Bendel; and Vance Whippo were elected Directors with terms expiring in 2026.
- Baroness Jessica K. Hartwell, OAE, was elected a Director with a term expiring in 2024.
- Luke DeWeese was elected a Fellow of the Society, fifth class.
- Daniel “Danny” Rodgers was promoted to Fellow of the Society, third class.
- William “Rod” Fleck was promoted to Fellow of the Society, second class.
- The following officers were elected for the 2023/2014 term: Chairman of the Board and President, Rod Fleck; Vice-President, Vance Whippo; Secretary, Jessica Hartwell; Treasurer, Daniel Rodgers, FAS; and Assistant Secretary, Bruce A. Metcalf, OAE.
- An Instagram Subcommittee was created under the Social Media Committee.
- The Society of Descendants of Spain (SDE) was created.
- Adam Edward Thompson was recognized as a knight commander of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia; a knight commander of the Royal Order of Merit of Portugal; and a knight of the Order of Danillo I.
- Colton de los Santos was named Vice-Justiciar for Ecclesiastical Heraldry.
- Colton de los Santos was named a member of the Genealogy Committee.
- Lee A. Dorland was promoted to the rank of Fellow of the Society, insigne cum laude.
- Darryl Blatzer was recognized as a member of the Knights of Malta with the rank of Knight, and the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem with the rank of Knight Grand Cross.
- The Fellowship rank of Senior Fellow was created, the next and final rank beyond Fellow, summa cum laude.
- Luke Ironside was named Books Editor and Dean of the SDC.
- Cdr. Nicholas Hoffmann was promoted to the rank of Fellow of the Society, second class.
- Brady Brim DeForest of Balvaird Castle was promoted to the rank of Fellow of the Society, third class.
- Charles Bryant-Abraham was electe a Fellow of the Society, fifth class.
- The Order of St. Joachim was recognized as a Noble Company.
- The Union della Nobilità Bizantina was recognized as a Noble Company.
- The Ecumenical Order of St John of Gothia was recognized as an Ecclesiastical Decoration.
- The Forum on the main web site was disabled for absence of use.
- Points required for Fellowship will be adjusted by 1% each month until targets for eligibility are met.
- The arms of Rev. Derek Cheek were registered to the Society's Roll of Arms.
- The arms of Phillip Wayne Dennis were registered to the Society's Roll of Arms.
- The arms of Nathaniel Bendel were registered to the Society's Roll of Arms.
- The arms of Ernesto Juan Anaya were registered to the Society's Roll of Arms.
- The telephone and fax lines were disconnected due to lack of use.
- Augustæum is now being published electronically each month. Members who are offline will be sent paper copies.
- The Imperial Hispanic Order of Carlos V was recognized as a nobiliary society.
- The 2022 Collection Development Grant provided a supplement of $150 that permitted the purchase of 23 books.
- The Board rejected the offer of a Collection Development Grant for 2023. No reason was given.
- HE Don Alfonso de Ceballos-Escalera y Gila, Marques de la Floresta and Visconte de Ayala was elected an Honorary Member of the Society.
- Christian Boyd was promoted to Webmaster by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Bruce A. Metcalf, OAE, has resigned as Webmaster and was appointed Assistant Webmaster by the new Webmaster.
- A new class of membership, "Student Membership" was created for minors and full-time students.
- Deacon Mark Arbeen was recognized as a Knight Commander (KCHS) in the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, a Knight Grand Cross (KGCG) in the Order of Obeng II, and a Knight Grand Cross (KGOG) in the Order of the Golden Fire Dog.
- Nathaniel Bendel was recognized as a Knight (KSMA) in the Royal Brotherhood of St. Michael of the Wing.
- Maj. José Sánchez was recognized as a Distinguished Companion in the Royal and Hashemite Order of the Pearl of Sulu/
- Michael Lyons was recognized as the Baron of Winchburg.
- The Maestranza de Caballeria de Habana was recognized as a Noble Company.
- The arms of Colton De Los Santos were registered in the Society's Roll of Arms.
- The web site now lists the Fellowship Rank, Fellowship Points, and Points to Next Rank for each member.
- Bruce A. Metcalf was elected and confirmed as Magister Rosae.
- Maj. José Sánchez, was named Vice-Justiciar for Spanish Heraldry.
- Solar de Tejada was recognized as Noble Corporation by the Society.
- Simon Elliott was inducted to membership in the Society as an honorary member.
- Jonathan Quiery was inducted to membership in the Society as an honorary member.
- Maj. José Sánchez was elected Director of the Society.
- The Royal Confraternity of St. Teotonio was recognized as a Nobiliary Body upon the recommendation of the Chivalry Committee.
- Danny Rodgers was named Coordinator of the Egyptology Study Group by the Dean of Studies.
- Cataloging continues at the Library storage facility, and is greatly speeded by the installation of a computer with Internet access.
- The new web site has gone live. Things are organized differently, and most pages have simply been copied from the old site. However, you'll already find a few new things, some things refreshed, with many more planned for the coming months. Volunteers to help would (as ever) be welcomed.
- Capitulo Noble de Fernando VI was recognized as a Nobiliary Bodies, Noble Corporations, and Chivalric Confraternities of Knights.
- Robert Reeves Turbyfill Jr. was recognized as a Knight Commander (KC*HS) in the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.
- Brady Brim-DeForest, Baron of Balvaird, FAS, and Edward “Pat” Lowinger, FAS, were promoted to Fellows, Fourth Class, in recognition of their contributions to the Society.
- Library cataloging has reached a milestone this month with 6000 items cataloged, or about 20% of the collection. No small task given the small number of volunteers available.
- A bequest from the estate of Arthur Germond, FAS, was received in the amount of $15,000.
- Bruce A. Metcalf was promoted to Fellowship, summa cum laude.
- Brady Brim-DeForest of Balvaird Castle was recognized as holding the rank of Grand Cross in the Order of Danillo I, Commander in the Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Vicosa, and Grand Cross in the Order of St. Ignatius of Antioch.
- The membership class of “student membership” was created.
- Luke Ironside was inducted as a Companion Class member of the Society of Descendants of the Conqueror
- Rev. Dr. Christian Boyd was recognized as holding the rank of Chaplain in the OSMTH, Grand Officer in the Order of Omukama Chwa II Kabalega, and Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Golden Fire Dog.
- Murray Eiland and Sean Collin were named members of the Chivalry Committee.
- Sean Collin was named a member of the Royalty & Nobility Committee.
- Dr. Krista Kapphahn has accepted honorary membership in the Society.
- Bruce A. Metcalf was confirmed as as Magister Rosae for the next year.
- Jessica Hartwell, DCR, was named Lieutenant Magister Rosae.
- The arms of Jeremy Cole Miller were registered.
- Ernie Anaya was recognized as a Knight Commander in the Order of the Eagle of Georgia.
- Rev. Dr. Christian D. Boyd was recognized as a Distinguished Companion of the Order of the Pearl of Sulu.
- Maj. José Sánchez was appointed a member of the Chivalry Committee and the Heraldry Committee.
- William “Rod” Fleck was promoted to the rank of Fellow of the Society, Third Class.
- Baron Patrick M. M. O’Shea d'Albeville was recognized as the Count of Alby.
- Luke Ironside was inducted into the Society of Descendants of the Conquest as a Conqueror Class member.
- Nick Hoffmann was appointed Coordinator of the Medals & Decorations Study Group.
- Rod Fleck was appointed a member of the Medals & Decorations Study Group.
- The Library has now cataloged 5000 books and periodicals.
- The 2021 Annual Meeting is to be held online, rather than in person.
- Bruce A. Metcalf, OAE was awarded the 2021 Balling Award (second award).
- Lee A. Dorland was promoted to the rank of Fellow, magne cum Laude.
- The Order of the Star of Oceania was recognzied as an Other Non-Ruling Dynastic Honor.
This page maintained by the Webmaster based on input from members and officers. Last modified on 26 January 2024. bam